Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Queen City - day 2

Eddie's Birthday!
So, this is where our trip got even more interesting. We woke up on day 2 and went downstairs (in our pajamas) to the dining room to eat breakfast. After breakfast, we went back up to our room to shower and get dressed and to put Thomas down for his morning nap. Yeah, we turn the knob to turn on the shower and nothing happens - the knob keeps turning but the water's not coming. So we called down to the front desk to ask them to send a repair person (another indication of the quality accommodations we enjoyed). Two minutes later the fire alarm goes off. Yeah, we're still in our pajamas and none of us had showered yet (I guess it's better to have not showered than to have my shower interrupted and have to evacuate the building). So, all I could think about grabbing were the essentials so we took the diaper bag with us and ran out of the building. Unfortunately we didn't grab the camera or our Cincinnati road atlas (luckily Eddie's really good with directions and getting around). As we pulled out of the hotel parking garage the fire trucks were pulling up. Eddie took us to a park that he had remembered seeing on the map and we kicked it there for awhile. When we finally made it back to our room we still had to wait for the maintenance guy to come and fix the shower - half of a day totally wasted (well, I guess we did get to see a cool park in our pajamas) and Thomas missed his nap. And to top it all off, it was Eddie's birthday. Happy Birthday to you!

We ended up treating ourselves to some P.F. Changs for lunch where Eddie got a free dessert (he even got to blow out a candle).
We then wandered over to fountain square right in the heart of downtown. It was a really neat little courtyard area with tables and benches and fountains and lots of flowers. It was great to just chill there for awhile.


Family pic in front of the flowers.

Thomas was being a real trooper and we decided to let him have a little fun in the fountain. He loves baths so we figured he'd probably love the fountain too....boy were we right! Here he's just kicking the water - he just kept swinging his leg back and forth into the water. It was funny.

Just making some splashes. Oh man, he could've stayed there all day playing in that water but alas, we had to move on.


This is a little garden area also downtown just a few blocks from fountain square. It was beautiful! I love Tulips!

Thomas wanted to stop and have a little book break so he and Eddie became engrossed in the book "Quack". Thomas loves books! (I think my library nerdiness is rubbing off on him!)


After a long day, we decided it'd be good to let Thomas get a little energy out so here he is looking all innocent-like terrorizing the hotel room. Once again, he had a rough time getting to sleep. But eventually, there was peace in the world again.



9 comments:

Betsy said...

Yay for library nerdiness, Andrea!

Jenilee said...

This sounds like one of those trips you will be glad you have documented, so you can laugh at it all later. Good luck with the rest of the trip.

Unknown said...

happy B-Day Eddie!!!!!!

TheMoncurs said...

Andrea! I heard forever ago that you had a blog but of course no one could ever remember the address when I was around. Fortunately, Margot linked to it on her blog and now I've found you!

Looks like you guys are doing great. Your little boy is adorable!

Kayla

Anonymous said...

That little guy is looking more strawberry blond (and like a Howell, at least in my opinion) all the time. A very cute strawberry blond, like his twin cousins. Hard to believe he'll be walking the next time we see him.

Justin and RaeLyn said...

Hey E, remember the crapy hotel in Gillette, WY? When we walked by the tv, it would turn on and off. So I pretended it was possesd like poltrigeist and scared the crap out of you? The hotel also didn't give us enough towels so we had to use a wash cloth to dry off with. Yea, those were the good ol' days.

--Rae

Laura said...

Oh man...this is so funny! I love hearing about crappy hotel experiences. We had one ourselves last year when we drove up to Kirtland. They ended up giving us the Hotel "Suite" for the second night at no charge. Your story in the pajamas definitely tops ours though!

Anyway, looks like a great trip to Cincinnatti. I've heard its a fun city--we'll have to venture down there now that we're so close. Oh, I also noticed that Thomas was wearing the little swim outfit we have him last year! I'm glad its getting some use!

Laura said...

I meant to say we "gave him" not we "have him"... =)

Rachel said...

So Kari Ward hooked me up with the link to your blog... Thomas is huge! Thank goodness for the internet so I can keep track of all my friends and their babies! Hope all is well.