Sunday, August 25, 2013

"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!"

School started!  Monday was officially Thomas' first day of first grade and boy was he excited!  I expected the excitement to wear off after a day or two but each day he was equally excited to be going to school so I'll take that as a good sign that he likes his teacher and he doesn't mind being in school twice as long as last year.
The one on the far left is his picture from his first day of Kindergarten last year and the next two are from this year.  He was pretty excited to have a new Iron Man back pack.  Sorry the pictures are blurry...don't know how that happened.
Some other fun things this week:  we had a fun, short visit with a former missionary and his wife.  It was so good to see him again and catch up on their lives and reminisce about all the old times.

Also, at church, I was recently called to be one of the leaders for Activity Days (a group of 8-11 year old girls that meet every other Wednesday evening for an activity).  I had my second activity this week and I think it went well.  We're trying to get everyone organized and on the same page and still have fun at the same time and I think the girls had a good time.  I hope so anyway.  It is a major adjustment for me to be working with young girls after being a leader in Relief Society for most of my adult life (Relief Society is the organization for women in our church, click here to learn more about it).  At first, I was extremely intimidated by these girls, but as I am getting to know them, I am loving them more and more. They are sweethearts and I hope we continue to have a blast together!

Thomas is excited for another great day at school tomorrow.  I overheard him say in his prayers last night that he wanted today to go by fast so he can go back to school and have a good time there.  Some would think that means he doesn't like to be around his family much but I don't think so.  He loves his family and he LOVES learning too!  Nothin' wrong with that!


3 comments:

Jenilee said...

Yay for first grade! I am so glad he enjoys it. We started school this past week as well. This year I have two in school. So weird.
We will have to share some Activity Days ideas. I was just called to that calling last week.

Emily said...

So cute! So happy to see he is loving school. Good luck with Achievement Days. You'll have some fun and it might be nice for the "break." Love, Em

Kalyn Denny said...

So cute; first grade is such a fun year.