Monday, May 05, 2008

The Queen City - day 1

We decided to go to the "Queen City" Cincinnati last weekend as a little getaway for our anniversary and Eddie's birthday. We had quite an interesting time. It started out good - when we got to town we went to a Reds game which they ended up losing, but it was fun anyway.


Thomas was pretty happy at the beginning of the game but....


...things changed when it started getting a bit too hot for him. So, we moved to the upper deck in the shaded area - we were all much happier after that.


The "Great American Ballpark"

I love this picture of Thomas and Eddie watching the game together...talk about father/son bonding.

As with any of our other "vacations" we were trying to be frugal and I gotta tell ya, sometimes it's just a good idea to pay a little extra. Before we left for Cincinnati, we bought some coupons on restaurant.com to use at different places in the city (to cut costs on meals). In theory this was a good idea, however, in practice, the restaurants we chose were not the greatest. The first night we went to a place called Pompilio's. It is where they filmed the "toothpick" scene of Rain Man and it is definitely their only claim to fame. We thought, "how quaint, we'll eat at some of the local places and make our experience unique". Let's just say, we paid for a whole lotta grease. Oh well, we've learned for our next little venture.


When we got to the hotel it was a bit on the sketchy side. This is also one of those instances where you get what you pay for. Our room was sufficient but not extremely large. Thomas had a bit of trouble falling asleep in the pack 'n' play that was in the corner of the room. This is a picture and video of him being really hyper and slap happy at 10pm. He was SOOO tired!


I think the video is hilarious...it is SO Thomas. (Don't worry, no babies were injured in the making of this video)

Stay tuned for day 2.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun... there's a new "Little Eddie" in the world.

Justin and RaeLyn said...

How adorable! He's getting big fast! I can't wait to see you guys again! -- RAE

Jenilee said...

"Vacations" with kids are a whole new experience. I agree, it is just better sometimes to pay a little extra. We have had a few nights in a hotel room with a crying baby, trying to go to sleep. You gotta love the memories.

Shay said...

I love the video. It's so funny because it reminds me of the many times we have had the same thing happen in hotels with our kids. They can be totally passed out in the car, late at night, but as soon as you go into the hotel, they are suddenly so wound up!

Angee said...

Sweet! I would love to go to a Reds game. (Although I would love to go to any MLB game right now.) That picture of your 2 boys at the game is definitely frameable.

Don't you love the scary motels where there's no room for the pack and play? Us Drapers like to cram 7 people into a 4 person motel room...

Carrie said...

What a fun vacation! Thomas is so cute. We are taking Jace to his first Cubs game in a few weeks and I'm a little worried about how he'll do....we'll see!