Friday, March 20, 2009

"Guck"

This morning I woke up to very distressed crying. At first I just thought Thomas was impatient to get out of his crib so I rolled over and told myself, "just 5 more minutes". When the crying became more and more distressed and high-pitched I decided I'd better go see what was going on. I walk in to see that he has his leg stuck all the way up to his thigh in-between the bars of the crib. It was so sad, the poor kid was in a lot of pain and he kept looking at me with tears rolling down and saying "guck" (aka stuck).

After assessing the situation, I decided that the only way to get his leg out was to cut the leg of his pajamas to expose his knee (which was swollen and getting the most stuck) and dousing it with vegetable oil to get it through. It worked but I'm afraid the poor little guy is a bit traumatized today. He has hugged me way more this morning than he ever does normally. He'll have a pretty nice bruise on his knee but luckily nothing more serious than that. I think it's time to move him to his big boy bed this weekend.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Poor guy! Elizabeth got her thigh stuck several times in her crib as a baby, but I never actually had to cut through clothing to get her out! Good thinking!

Britney said...

Oh no! That experience would motivate me to get the toddler bed out right away, too.

Glad you were able to grease him out!

Ginger said...

"Guck" - that is so adorable and heart breaking at the same time.

Kalyn Denny said...

Poor kid. Glad he is okay.

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

poor little guy!
Glad you were able to get his leg out! Quick thinking.

-Laura- said...

Poor guy! Sounds like he was MAJORLY "Guck!"

Chris and Sara said...

I found Megan like that in her crib two weeks ago because I had taken the crib bumper out (her leg between the bars, all the way up to her thigh) and she was distressed but not totally stuck. So I put the crib bumper back in there and crossed my fingers that it is less dangerous than the alternative (a "guck" baby).
Hope he's feeling better and that baby brother is not kicking mom too much.

S. Fantasia said...

Poor guy! Actually this story made me laugh a bit because the exact (and I mean exact, including our hesitation to rush to him) same thing happened to Eli. Luckily he had on short pjs and we used vegetable oil spray - also worked.

I think Thomas will probably forget about it eventually, but I remember thinking Eli was going to be traumatized too. Although he has slept in a twin bed since shortly after that incident, so who knows. :o)

Summer said...

Awwww... well, way to go super mommy! Kept yer head on straight.

Did you actually switch beds this weekend? I'm dreading our second try in a couple of months.