Sunday, January 03, 2010

Resolutions


I'm one of those people that has never really understood what all the hype is about with the new year. So it's Jan. 1st....so what? Well, I had a conversation with Eddie the other night that helped me understand a bit better.

People sometimes need a reason to start over or to start something new to improve themselves and their lives. The celebration of the new year provides that reason. Out with the old, in with the new! So that's why people make resolutions. I'm sure all of you are probably shaking your heads and saying, "duh Andrea...it's not that hard to figure out". Well, I had a major "ah-hah" moment after talking with Eddie about it and now I get it. I don't know that I'll ever get so hyped up about it but I'm going to make at least one attainable resolution every January 1st.

This year I've decided to go with two resolutions (and note the word "attainable" above - I don't want to fail before I start):

1. Try to work out more than never (I know this one is very cliche but seriously...I REALLY need to work out more.)

2. Refrain from gossip. I made this a goal a long time ago and I was doing well for a few months but I have felt myself slip again and I hate it. I hate gossip and I hate the way it makes me feel about myself and about other people. I just don't want to do it. So, I'm asking for help - if I'm talking with you and I slip and tell you some kind of gossip - call me out! I'll probably be embarrassed but that's good. Do it - I dare you!

What are your New Year's resolutions for 2010?

5 comments:

Angee said...

I am so going with your #1. I think I can accomplish more than never because that's where I am right now.

Hope to see the McClellands in 2010...

Summer said...

I love your goals! Those are my biggest weaknesses, too. I gossip the most when I'm frustrated with people and figure out why I'm upset out loud. It's awful, because then I realize all I was doing was bad-mouthing the person I was disappointed in! It's hard to distinguish "venting" from gossiping- so I'm thinking in my case neither is acceptable.

As for exercising- I'm thinking I'll have to start on that one next year. Maybe I'll have a goal of decorating my belly as an egg for Easter, though.

Ginger said...

Mine are boring but needed:
*Eat more fruits and vegetables
*Be more forgiving
*Exercise (I like your "more than never" - that's good)

Good luck on your resolutions, E. Oh and by the way, did I tell you what I heard about Ally and Laura. Well.... just kidding. :)

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

Ohh Andrea! Gossip is my weakness! I think the worst part of it, is that I just love hearing about it. I know I need to stop. It's a vice. I don't get to drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble.... gossiping is all I have. :) Maybe I should just stick to reading the tabloids. :)

Marsie Pants said...

See, I thought working out was a cliche resolution too, but when I went to the gym today, there was hardly anybody there. I thought for sure it would be packed. And my goal is to lose the 7 pounds I gained over the holidays. :-)