After going back and forth on whether or not I’d go, I took the plunge, and took a $60 cab ride across Chicago (through nearly endless traffic) with three complete strangers. If you know me well, you’d know that I’m not the type to spontaneously hop a $60 cab ride across a large metropolitan area with three complete strangers. Wrigley Field can do that to a man. Wrigley Field, one of the few old-school baseball stadiums left, and a mecca for all baseball fans alike (no matter which team they consider their home team). As a kid, I remember coming home from school, flipping through the channels and finding the “Cubbies” playing on WGN, I remember seeing Harry Caray sing the 7th inning stretch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn4M752ehB8&mode=related&search=) and I remember a) being scared that he might fall out of the press box as he waved the microphone around and b) being scared that he might terrorize me in my nightmares.

So was it worth it? Every minute and every cent. As weird as it might sound, it was akin to visiting Mt. Vernon or Gettysburg, its part of my heritage. It won’t be any time soon, but next stop on my baseball mecca tour, will probably either be Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park, we’ll see. I can’t say that I’m too excited about the thought of sharing the bleachers with either set of fans, but I’m not there for the fans, I’m there for the stadium and I’m there for the “old ball game…..play ball!”
2 comments:
I couldn't agree more. I grew up watching baseball and would have loved to have seen Wrigley's field. That is awesome that you had the once in a lifetime opportunity.
Drapers are completely jealous. I'm glad that you braved the unknown and splurged on history. Wrigley Field is on the "Draper Places to Go". Too bad you didn't have your lovely wife beside you. :)
Post a Comment