Just last weekend I was able to attend the funeral services for my Grandpa Denny, the last of my grandparents to pass away. It was a joyful occasion in a lot of ways - he had been suffering from Parkinson's disease for many, many years and he had been a widower for several years as well. But it was also a very sad occasion - it's hard to see my final grandparent go and it's even harder to realize that the amazing man I knew my whole life, my children wouldn't have the chance to get to know. I cried a lot when my grandma died 13 years ago just knowing that she wouldn't meet any of my kids or be at my wedding or play UNO with me anymore. They were both really amazing people. I guess at least my oldest child has met and played with my grandpa so I have that to hold onto.
I have always looked up to my Grandpa in so many ways. He is one of the reasons I was determined to finish my college degree. I would think to myself, "this is so hard, why am I putting myself through this?" But then I would think of my Dad and my Grandpa Denny and how much stuff they knew and how much they continued to learn all the time and I decided that I wanted to be like that - always learning. It took me a long time but I finally got that degree.
My grandpa also inspired me to always try to be the best person I could be. He served in a lot of leadership callings throughout his life in the church and always had such a good attitude about it and such a strong testimony. My grandpa was way cool and I wish more of my sisters-in-law and my husband could've known him better or at all. He always made me feel special, even though we didn't live very close to him, he always wanted to know everything that was happening in my life and all the things I was interested in. I had no doubt he knew me and loved me (even though he had so many other grandchildren).
One thing I loved about him was that he was always singing - unabashedly singing. He loved opera, showtunes, hymns, etc. He just appreciated all beautiful music. When I was a kid, I remember staying at grandma and grandpa's house and sitting at the table eating breakfast, grandpa would just burst into song - sometimes a Spanish love song, sometimes a show-tune but always in the most gorgeous voice and with a big grin on his face. In fact, in honor of him, my mom and I sang Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof at his funeral. It was really hard for me but my mom was a champ - she had a goal to sing the whole thing for him without breaking down and she did an awesome job. I was, however, a blubbering fool. Oh well, I guess I can blame the hormones, right? :) One of the beauties of being pregnant. ;) I will always cherish that tribute that my mom and I were able to pay. It was very fitting of him and I know that he was there helping us sing it. He had asked my mom to sing that song at his funeral for years and I'm really happy she did (and I think he was too).
One of the memories that I will always hold dear to my heart is when my Grandpa Denny gave me my Patriarchal blessing. It was a very special experience to me especially since I had my parents, grandparents and older brother, Kent, there (he and I received ours on the same day). I will never forget sitting in my grandparents' living room and feeling the spirit so strongly as my grandpa gave me my blessing. I was only 15 or so at the time I think but it is something that I will never forget and something I can look back on often. I've posted his obituary mostly for my records but if anyone would like to read it to see just how awesome my grandpa was, feel free.
Thanks for indulging me. I felt like I needed to write these things down so that I wouldn't forget them. Goodbye Grandpa - thanks for your legacy. I'm excited to see you and Grandma again! Maybe we can have a huge Denny Family Campout when we meet again on the other side.
Wouldn't that be a kick?!

8 comments:
He sounds like an amazing man.
I'm sorry for your loss, Andrea.
Big, Big hugs to you.
What a beautiful tribute. I'm sorry you had to go through such a hard time but isn't it wonderful to know you'll see him again? I've been thinking about you since you left and hope you're doing okay. We love you!
I'm sorry to hear he passed away. I will never forget the few times i got to meet him. I remember him singing a lot! I hope your mom is doing okay! I be the is loving being with his wife again!
Holy cow- President of the Salt Lake Temple? That must have been so awesome! I just lost my last grandparent- I don't blame you for crying through your song. It's hard to lose those wonderful people! He was part of an amazing generation- so spiritually strong and just plain classy. It's easy to tell you've come from a wonderful family.
That was a sweet post to record of him- thanks for sharing. :)
Andrea--
I had no idea. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, even though I know in some ways it is a sweet time as well. I loved your tribute to this good man...what special memories that you have of him! Even though your kids may not know him, they will know him through you. Much love to you!
Em
He sounds like a wonderful man and great grandpa. My thoughts are with you.
E, that was such a sweet tribute to your Grandpa. What an amazing man, and it's wonderful that your kids will be able to get to know him through your stories and also this great post.
:-( He lived a good life.
Each life that touches ours for good reflects the Lord's mercy.
Post a Comment